This map plots the settings and references in A Fork in the Road

To start exploring, click a red pin

Douglas, Northern Cape

 

The Big Hole - once filled with diamonds
Creative Commons AttributionThe Big Hole - once filled with diamonds - Credit: irene2005

 Douglas lies 107 kms southwest from the diamond town of Kimberley.

 

Originally a mission station, Douglas was founded in 1867 and was named for General Sir Robert Percy Douglas (1804-1891), the then Lieutenant Governor of the Cape Colony.  The proximity of South Africa’s largest rivers, Vaal and Orange, makes the land around Douglas fertile.