"past the Royal Barracks"
The courtyard at the Collins Barracks Museum - Credit: Jnestorius
The Royal Barracks (known now as Collins Barracks) is one of the earliest public buildings in Dublin, with its construction begining in 1701. It is the oldest inhabited barracks in Europe, and was a mainstay of British forces in Ireland for several centuries. Throughout the 19th century up to 1,500 troops of various regiments were stationed at the barracks, and during the 1916 Easter Rising
the 10th Battalion of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, amongst other forces, were deployed from the Royal Barracks to fight the rebels holding key locations in the city.