"the old church of Saint Pancras, far off in the fields"
St Pancras Old Church belongs to the Church of England. It is located in the London borough of Camden (and has not been 'far off in the fields' for a very long time). It is believed to be one of the oldest sites of Christian worship in England, dating from A.D. 314, and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Originally, the parish of St Pancras stretched from near Oxford Street, almost to Highgate. In the 14th century the population abandoned the site and moved to what is now Kentish Town. The move was probably prompted by the vulnerability of the church plain to flooding, and the availability of better wells at Kentish Town. The old settlement was abandoned and the church fell into disrepair. Towards the end of the eighteenth century, services were only held in the church on one Sunday each month. By 1847 the Old Church was derelict, but as the local population grew it was decided to restore it. Further restorations took place in 1888, 1925 and 1948.