The Compleat Angler was first published in 1653, but Walton continued to add to it for a quarter of a century. It celebrates the art and spirit of fishing in prose and verse. There was a second edition in 1655, a third in 1661, a fourth in 1668 and a fifth in 1676. By the fifth edition the original 13 chapters had grown to 21.
Walton’s Halfhead Farm near Stafford, purchased by him in 1655, is now a museum to his life. The ground floor is set-out in period and has a series of illustrated information boards covering Walton's life, his writings and the story of the Izaak Walton Cottage. Up-stairs is a collection of fishing related items, the earliest dating from the mid-eighteenth century.