"the abandoned ruins of Santa Rita del Cobre"
by cm
Santa-Rita-NM-1919
Public DomainSanta Rita del Cobre, 1919

The copper mining town of Santa Rita del Cobre (cobre means copper) was founded in 1803.

It was occasionally attacked by the Chiricahua Apache, and in 1837 a trader named James Johnson lured the Apaches to a gathering and then massacred them for their scalps. The Apache retaliated and almost all of the nearly 500 inhabitants of Santa Rita were killed.  The town was abandoned until 1849, when the US Army established a command post there.