"before dark they rode into the town of Santa Cruz."
Rendering of the Presidio Santa Cruz de Terrenate as it might have looked at completion
Public DomainRendering of the Presidio Santa Cruz de Terrenate as it might have looked at completion - Credit: Joel Ramirez

Santa Cruz de Terrenate was a former Spanish military presidio, located in the U.S. state of Arizona.

The presidio was established by an Irish mercenary named Hugh O’Connor in 1776, for the King of Spain Charles III. It was never completed to its original specifications due to repeated Apache attacks, which led to he garrison abandoning the presidio in 1780. In 1878, the presidio was briefly used as a post for the United States Army but was abandoned the same year.