This map plots the settings and references in Blood Meridian

To start exploring, click a red pin

Fort Griffin, Texas

Fort Griffin was a Cavalry fort established in the late 1860s in the northern part of West Texas to give settlers protection from Comanche and Kiowa raids.

It was named after Charles Griffin, a Civil War Union general who had commanded the Department of Texas.

 

 

 

 

 

The fort was officially opened in 1867. It was the starting point for many expeditions westward, and a substantial community built up around it to serve them.