The James B. Duke House is located at the northeast corner of Fifth Avenue and 1 East 78th Street. It is one of the great mansions of Millionaire’s Row, formerly owned by James Buchanan Duke, one of the founding partners of American Tobacco Company and the owner of Duke Power. Construction was completed in 1912. In 1952, James’ wife and daughter donated the building to New York University’s Institute of Fine Arts.
The Frick Collection is housed in the former Henry Clay Frick House, an opulent mansion designed and constructed in 1913-1914. The building was enlarged in the early 1930s for use as a public institution. It opened to the public in December 1935 as a small art museum, with a collection of old master paintings and fine furniture.
The Pierre is a luxury hotel dating from 1930. It was established by Charles Pierre Casalasco, who arrived in New York as a 25-year-old immigrant and quickly established himself as a society figure. The 714-room hotel, at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 61st Street, has unrestricted views of Central Park. It is now part of the Taj hotel group.