Idlewild is the original name of John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City (after the Idlewild Golf Course that it displaced). Construction of the airport began in 1943.
In 1943, the project was renamed Major General Alexander E. Anderson Airport, after a Queens resident who died in 1942. In 1948, the name was changed again, to New York International Airport, Anderson Field. However, the airport was commonly known as Idlewild until December 1963, when it was renamed John F. Kennedy International Airport, one month after the President’s assassination.