Drancy was a transit camp just north of Paris that was used to hold Jews temporarily until they could be transported to the concentration camps in Poland. It was a multi-storey complex, originally intended to be a public housing project for 700 people. But its close proximity to a railway station made it ideal for holding the thousands of Jews being rounded up in Paris and beyond. Up to 7,000 Jews were housed there at a time.
The camp was run by the French police until July 1943, when it was taken over by the SS.