By the mid-1940s, the waiting list for houses in Orlando numbered 16 000 people. New arrivals to the city lived as sub-tenants in houses and backyard shacks.
In March 1944 Community leader James ‘Sofasonke’ Mpanza led a group of squatters who built basic shelters made of bits of scrap metal and canvas, on municipal land in what is now Orlando West. Within a month the settlement had a population of 20 000. The municipality responded by putting up 4 000 breeze-block shelters, communal water taps and pit latrines. Residents dubbed the area Shantytown.
Today, Orlando is a suburb of Soweto.