Smith, Kline & French was a pharmaceutical company that today makes up part of GlaxoSmithKline.
In 1830, John K. Smith opened a drugstore in Philadelphia, called John K Smith & Co. In 1865, Mahlon Kline joined the organisation as a bookkeeper. He gradually assumed greater responsibility, and the company became Smith, Kline & Company. In 1891, they took over the company French, Richards & Company, granting them access to more brands. Their name changed to Smith, Kline & French Company, and they began to focus more on research.