A recap of Pompey’s career to this date:
* Sent by Sulla (now dictator) to pursue the last Marian supporters who fled Rome.
* Africa – fought the Marian rebels and the Numidian king. Was hailed imperator by his men.
* Sulla gave him the title ‘the Great’ but refused him a triumph, as he had as yet held no magistracies. Pompey refused to disband his legions and waited at the gates of Rome. Sulla gave in and Pompey got his triumph.
* Given proconsular imperium to deal with rebels in Spain, and was successful.
* Senate recalled him after his victory to help crush the slave revolt. Pompey came in at the last minute and stole Crassus’ glory.
* Granted another triumph, this time for Spain. Again, it was not strictly legal.
* Held consulship with Crassus.