"gave them land along the Chubut River"

The Welsh named the Rio Chubut (from the Teheulche chupat) Afon Camwy, or 'twisting river.' The 820km long river helped the settlers irrigate and prosper, spreading along the valley to Trelew, Rawson and Gaimán. Under the terms of the original settlement they were given up to 100 acres, and in 1875 the Argentine government granted them ownership of the land.