Beowulf and Grendel are two of the main characters from the epic poem "Beowulf", which is famous for being the oldest surviving poem in the English language. It is, however, written in Old English, which is almost completely unintelligible to modern English speakers today! As an example, here's the beginning of the original text:
- Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum,
- þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
- hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
- Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
- monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
- egsode eorlas.
- See? It's a totally different language! If you don't have the time or inclination to learn Old English, you might be better off reading Beowulf in translation.