The Cabildo was the seat of colonial government in New Orleans. Originally named after the "Illustrious Cabildo", or city council.
The original building was destroyed in 1788 in the Great Fire of New Orleans. It was rebuilt between 1795 and 1799.
By 1895 the building was in severe disrepair and under consideration for demolition. However, following a campaign, it was preserved and restored. It reopened in 1911 as the home of the Louisiana State Museum. The Museum suffered serious fire damage in 1988 but was reopened in 1994 and remains open today.