"Royal Observatory"
by cm
Flamsteed House
Public DomainFlamsteed House

Designed by Sir Christopher Wren, the original Observatory at Greenwich was built at a cost of £520 on the site of the old Duke Humphrey’s Tower.   It was later renamed Flamsteed House.  Although Greenwich remains a focal point of astronomy, time-keeping and navigation, the Royal Observatory was moved in 1948 to Herstmonceux Castle in East Sussex to escape the light pollution in London.