"Observatory at Richmond"
The Richmond Observatory
The King’s Observatory at Richmond
– or Kew Observatory – was designed by Sir William Chambers and built of Portland Stone with a moveable dome, in time for the transit of Venus in 1769. London’s official time was set from calculations made here, until that responsibility passed to Greenwich. The Observatory was closed in 1841, and today is used by the Meteorological Office for weather observations.