"He was asked to go with them to the Garrison chapel"
The Royal Garrison Church interior
Creative Commons AttributionThe Royal Garrison Church interior - Credit: Charles D.P. Miller
The Royal Garrison Church as it is today
Creative Commons AttributionThe Royal Garrison Church as it is today - Credit: Margaret Anne Clarke

 The Royal Garrison Church/Chapel on Penny Street in Old Portsmouth began life as Domus Dei, a 13th century hospice and almhouse. During the period that Portsmouth was a fortified town, and particularly from the late 17th century onwards, it became the place of worship of the garrison which defended the town. It underwent restoration between 1861 and 1871 but was damaged during the Blitz in 1941; Although roofless, except for the chancel, it is still occasionally used for services.