"something like the Brighton Pavilion to call home"
The Royal Pavilion at night - Credit: Briantist
The Royal Pavilion
in Brighton was built in 1787 for George IV, then Prince of Wales. Brighton, on the south coast of England, was extremely fashionable at the time and was recommended to the prince for the good of his health; a residence there also allowed him to meet his Catholic lover, Maria Fitzherbert, in secrecy. Her religion made a marriage impossible but she remained his companion for most of their adult lives.
Between 1815 and 1822 the Pavilion was largely redesigned and extended, displaying an Indian style architecture on the outside and a mixture of Indian and Chinese features in the interior. In 1850 Queen Victoria, who disliked Brighton, sold the Pavilion to the town and it is now a popular tourist attraction, restored in large part to its 19th century glory. Buildings on the estate now house a theatre and concert hall, and the extravagant main building is a key feature of Brighton's seafront.