Les Halles is an area of central Paris, for many years the site of a huge market.
Structures were first erected there for merchants in 1183. In the 1850s, a glass and iron structure was built to house the stall holders selling their wares. It was for a time known as 'the belly of Paris'. In 1971 the market was replaced with an open-air shopping centre.