Page 52. " Amor and Psyche, by Pelissier. "


L'amor et Psyche 1819 by Picot
Public DomainL'amour et Psyche- 1819

The name of a perfume. Amor is the Latin name of Cupid. The story of Cupid and Psyche can be read here.

Page 57. " like the invention of writing by the Assyrians, Euclidean geometry, the ideas of Plato "

Assyria was a Mesopotamian kingdom, situated in what is now Iraq.




The greek mathematician Euclid gave his name to this early mathematical geometry system.






Plato (c428-c347 BC) was a famous Greek philosopher. He is one of the key founders of Western thought.

Creative Commons AttributionPlato - Credit: Marie-Lan Nguyen



Page 57. " A truly Promethean act! "

Prometheus, a Titan in Greek mythology, stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortals. For this act of humanity, Zeus bound him to a rock where eagles ate his regrowing liver day after day. Baldini's activities arguably serve humanity in the sense that his aromas offer respite from what was then an astonishigly fetid, filthy and putrid place.


GNU Free Documentation LicensePrometheus - Credit: Rheinisches Bildarchiv


Page 59. " Voltaires and Rousseaus "

  Voltaire (1694-1778) was a writer, polemicist, satirist and philosopher active during the years of the Enlightenment.

  Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712-1778) was a composer, writer and political philosopher. His works influenced the French Revolution and modern political thought.

Page 67. " Louvre "
Le Louvre
GNU Free Documentation LicenseLe Louvre - Credit: Gloumouth1

The Louvre is now one of the world's most famous and visited museums, although at the time of the book it was a palace. Located on the Right Bank in the centre of Paris, the Palais du Louvre was first constructed as a fortress in the 12th century. It officially opened as a museum in August 1793.

Page 69. " he would make a pilgrimage to Notre-Dame "
Notre Dame
Public DomainNotre Dame

 Notre Dame is a Roman Catholic cathedral in central Paris, built in the Gothic style. It was completed in the 1340s.

In 1548 it was damaged by rioting Huguenots, briefly deconsecrated during the Revolution, and restored in 1845. Its splendid windows were removed for the duration of World War Two. Since 1991, it has been subject to an extensive and ongoing maintenance and restoration program.