York Place was originally the house of the Archbishop of York, acquired by him in 1240 and named York Place. When it was taken from Wolsey by Henry VIII, it was renamed Whitehall (see bookmark for page 43).
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey was one of King Henry VIII’s most trusted advisors. At the height of his success he attained the position of Lord Chancellor for the king, became Archbishop of York, and was made a cardinal in 1515. However, when Wolsey failed to secure an annulment for Henry from his marriage to Catherine of Aragon, his popularity with the king plummeted. As the Pope delayed making a decision, Henry grew more convinced that Wolsey was deliberately delaying proceedings. He was stripped of his office and property, including York Place. Wolsey then travelled to York, but was called back on charges of treason. He became ill and died on his way back to London.