Sachsenhausen was one of the original concentration camps established by the Nazis. Built in 1938, it was located 35 km from Berlin. It was originally designed as a holding camp for political prisoners and prisoners of war.
The practice of cruel and inhumane medical experimentation was developed within the camp. A great deal of slave labor was provided through Sachsenhausen. The camp became a training ground for future concentration camp directors, and many of the more atrocious ideas of the extermination camps were developed here.