"Next came the Cinizelli Circus (famous for its wrestling tournaments)"

Cinizelli's Circus was St Petersburg's first resident circus, and opened in 1877 in a purpose-built building on the Fontanka Canal, now the site of St Petersburg's current circus. It was founded by Italian circus actor and entrepreneur G. Cinizelli (1815-1881), and featured such outstanding actors as the equestrian James Fillis, the animal-trainer Mazzelli, and the clowns Prais and Fratellini. In 1897, the International Championship for Wrestling (mentioned by Nabokov) was launched at Cinizelli's Circus. Like many other artists, the Cinizelli family left Russia in 1918, and the circus changed its name to the Petrograd Circus, the Leningrad Circus and finally the St Petersburg Circus.