The royal Tuileries Palace stood on the right bank of the River Seine in Paris until 1871. The site is now the location of the Tuileries Garden. The Palace was commissioned by Catherine de' Medici in 1564. It was occupied on and off by the French monarchy until the Revolution in 1789.
When Napoleon Bonaparte came to power in 1799, he made the Tuileries the official residence of the First Consul, and later the imperial palace. The Palace reverted to a royal residence during the Bourbon Restoration (1814-1830). During the July Revolution of 1830, it was attacked by an armed mob and occupied. King Louis Philippe took up residence at the Palace until 1848, when it was again invaded, looted and damaged.
Napoleon’s nephew, Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte, was elected President in 1848. He declared himself Emperor Napoleon III in 1852, establishing a court in the Tuileries. During his reign, the Palace was extensively refurbished and redecorated. He ruled as Emperor until September 1870, when he was deposed during the Franco-Prussian War.
In May 1871, during the suppression of the Paris Commune, the Tuileries Palace was set alight. The fire raged for 48 hours and entirely consumed the Palace. The ruins stood for 11 years, but in 1882 the French National Assembly voted to demolish them and sold them to a private entrepreneur. The demolition was started in February 1883 and completed in September.
Since 2003 there has been talk of rebuilding the Tuileries. The new palace could be furnished with the furniture and paintings taken from the Tuileries in 1870 at the start of the Franco-Prussian war.