"inscribed on the surface of an emerald"
The Emerald Tablet - Credit: Heinrich Khunrath
As Above, So Below
- 1. Tis true without lying, certain most true.
- 2. That which is below is like that which is above that which is above is like that which is below to do the miracles of one only thing.
- 3. And as all things have been arose from one by the meditation of one: so all things have their birth from this one thing by adaptation.
- 4. The Sun is its father, the moon its mother,
- 5. the wind hath carried it in its belly, the earth its nurse.
- 6. The father of all perfection in the whole world is here.
- 7. Its force or power is entire if it be converted into earth.
- 7a. Separate thou the earth from the fire, the subtle from the gross sweetly with great industry.
- 8. It ascends from the earth to the heaven again it descends to the earth and receives the force of things superior and inferior.
- 9. By this means ye shall have the glory of the whole world thereby all obscurity shall fly from you.
- 10. Its force is above all force. for it vanquishes every subtle thing and penetrates every solid thing.
- 11a. So was the world created.
- 12. From this are and do come admirable adaptations whereof the means (Or process) is here in this.
- 13. Hence I am called Hermes Trismegist, having the three parts of the philosophy of the whole world.
- 14. That which I have said of the operation of the Sun is accomplished and ended.