"He was igniting a Romeo y Julieta fat as a baby's arm"
these cigars were first manufactured from 1875, rising to international prominence in 1903 when acquired by the firm Rodríguez, Argüelles y Cia in Havana, Cuba. This was down to the marketing efforts of the company owner, Jose ‘Pepin’ Rodriguez Fernandez, who made himself well known in the USA and cosmopolitan Europe. He introduced the ‘personalisation’ of the cigars, where wealthy clients could have their names wrapped around the body of the cigar on a loop of foil. The brand still exists today, although in two forms; only one branch is still based in Havana. Due to US laws prohibiting the import of Cuban products, the other branch is situated in the Dominican Republic.