The No. 4 1/2 or 'Newhouse Special Wolf Trap' was first produced in 1893 and soon became the trap of choice for most of the Southwest’s wolf trappers. Weighing 5 1/4 pounds with a jaw spread of 8 3/4 inches, it's understandable why Billy mistakes it for a bear trap.
It was named after the 19th century trap manufacturer Sewell Newhouse. In 1849 Newhouse and his family joined the Oneida Community, a group of religious Perfectionists who adhered to a principle they called ‘Bible Communalism’ and advocated eugenics. Under the guidance of Newhouse, the Oneida Community began a successful trapmaking venture in 1852 and became a major trap producer.