"where the river ran and the spare houses of Colonia Morelos stood"
Mormon youngsters boating on the Rio Bavispe before the mill at Colonia Morelos (c. 1910) - Credit: James Brown Klein
Founded in 1900, Colonia Morelos was the last significant Mormon colony built in northern Mexico by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The town thrived until the summer of 1912 when the outbreak of the Mexican Revolution instigated a mass exodus. The following year Joseph F. Smith, President of the Mormon Church, dissolved the commitment binding the colonists to Morelos and officially sanctioned its abandonment.
In 1921, Colonia Morelos and the surrounding land was sold to the Mexican government.
Colonia Morelos one month after the Mormon exodus in 1912 - Credit: James Brown Klein