"upon the gallows at Newgate"

 

There was a prison in Newgate from the twelth century until 1902. London's gallows, where condemned men would be put to death by hanging, originally stood at Tyburn, near Marble Arch. In 1783 the site of executions was moved to the street outside Newgate Prison, where the condemned men were held. Executions remained public until 1868, when they were moved to gallows within Newgate.

The prison was demolished in 1904, and replaced with the Central Criminal Court, more commonly known as the Old Bailey.