Almost 50 years later, Sir Thomas Bodley (1545–1613) provided the funding to re-establish the library. The old library was refurnished to house a new collection of 2,500 books, including Bodley’s own collection, and opened in 1602. In 1610 Bodley entered into an agreement with the Stationers’ Company of London, that a copy of every book published in England would be deposited in the new library (the agreement was incorporated into legislation and finally became effective from the mid-1800s).
The collections of manuscripts and books attracted scholars from all over Europe. By 1849, there were estimated to be 220,000 books and some 21,000 manuscripts in the library’s collection, along with pictures, sculptures, coins and medals, and ‘curiosities.’ BY 1914, the books numbered one million.
Over the years there have been a great many extensions and new building, to house the growing collection. The original buildings have however remained in constant use.