Hispano-Suiza, which translates as "Spanish-Swiss," is a Spanish automotive and engineering firm. It is best known for its luxury cars and aviation engines in the pre-World War II period. The company originated in 1898, when Spaniard Emilio de la Cuadra started producing electric automobiles in Barcelona. He was soon joined by Swiss engineer Marc Birkigt, who designed the company’s first gas-powered engines, and pioneered a number of aircraft design features. These included a hollow propeller shaft allowing a gun to be fired through the propeller spinner.
Since the Second World War Hispano-Suiza has focused primarily on aerospace and turbine manufacturing.