This map plots the settings and references in The Forsyte Saga

To start exploring, click a red pin

Page 61. " Old Jolyon came out of Lord's cricket ground "

Lord's is owned by the Marylebone Cricket Club, guardians of English cricket.  It is named after Thomas Lord, a bowler who set up a private ground on what is now Dorset Square in London. 

Lord's moved to its current site in St John's Wood in 1814.  At the time, it was a rural spot, but it is now in central London.

The building is typical of the new wave of red brick, slightly Gothic architecture that was spreading out from the outskirts of the city in all directions from the 1870s onwards.

In the late 19th century cricket was played by gentlemen and players (who were of a different social class). Cricket was a summer activity; white clothes were always worn by the teams.