The Barbary Coast was a district of old San Francisco. It took its name in the mid-19th century from the north coast of Africa, itself named after the Berbers. It first gained its character as a place of booze, prositution, gambling, drugs and vice of every stripe during the California Gold Rush of the 1850s. Much of it was destroyed during the 1906 earthquake, but many establishments were rebuilt and up and running in a surprisingly short time. The 1914 Red Light Abatement Act eventually drove the area's activities underground.