The Warsaw Ghetto was established by Nazi Germany in 1940 to confine approximately 400,000 Jews to a small area of Poland’s capital. The ghetto was surrounded by a brick wall topped with barbed wire and guarded by armed soldiers. Inside, a foot bridge divided the ghetto into two sections – a small ghetto where richer Jews resided, and a large ghetto where less fortunate Jews endured harsher conditions. Disease, starvation and unemployment were rife, and in 1942 Nazi soldiers began mass deportations of Jewish people to death camps, in particular the Treblinka extermination camp. When the Germans attempted to carry out another deportation in January 1943, Jewish fighters put up resistance in what is now known as the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. A final battle on the eve of Passover on 19 April 1943 resulted in Nazi forces burning and blowing up buildings, and killing or deporting anyone they could capture. The Warsaw Ghetto was destroyed.