The Staffordshire pottery industry developed from the 17th century onwards, and was centred on six towns (Burslem, Fenton, Hanley, Longton, Stoke and Tunstall) which now make up Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire, England. It is customary to refer to the area as a whole as the Staffordshire Potteries, or simply as The Potteries.
Historical Staffordshire potteries still in production today include Aynsley, Royal Doulton, Minton, Moorcroft, and Wedgwood.
The Chelsea porcelain factory, based in the Chelsea area of London, was in operation between about 1743 and 1784, when it was demolished. It catered for the aristocratic market, and specialised in decorative figurines.
In 1769, the Chelsea factory was bought by William Duesbury, owner of the Derby porcelain factory, and following the factory's demolition many of the patterns and moulds, as well as some of the workforce, were transferred to Derby.