The Women's Land Army (WLA), or 'Land Girls' as they were more commonly called, was a British civilian organization created during the First World War. The Land Girls replaced farming men who had been called up in both world wars. The WLA was formed by the Board of Agriculture in 1915; by the end of 1917 it had over 20,000 members. With conscription in World War 2, that number swelled to 80,000.
The WLA was disbanded in 1950. A badge of honour was presented to over 30,000 former Land Girls in 2008.