The Mabinogion was the name given by Lady Charlotte Guest to a collection of Welsh-language tales which she translated into English, and which were first published in three volumes between 1838 and 1849. The original stories were to be found mainly in two collections of medieval manuscripts known as the White Book of Rhydderch (c.1350) and the Red Book of Hergest (c. 1400).
Included in Lady Guest’s translation were the following stories: The Lady of the Fountain; Peredur the son of Evrawc; Geraint the son of Erbin; Kilhwch and Olwen; The Dream of Rhonabwy; Pwyll Prince of Dyfed; Branwen the Daughter of Llyr; Manawyddan the son of Llyr; Math the son of Mathonwy; The Dream of Maxen Wledig; Lludd and Llevelys; and Taliesin.
Later on, new translations of these tales (excluding Taliesin) were made, and the title The Mabinogion was retained for the collection as a whole. Two examples are the translations by T.P. Ellis and John Lloyd (1929), and by Gwyn Jones and Thomas Jones (1948). Joseph Loth, whose translation of the tales into French first appeared in 1889, also followed Lady Guest with his title Les Mabinogion.
Click here to read Lady Guest's translation online.