"the old spot by the Strand"

 The Royal Academy was based in Pall Mall when it was founded in 1768, before being moved to purpose-built quarters in Somerset House on the Strand in 1780. Somerset House was designed by William Chambers and is still a centre for art and culture, as well as housing part of King’s College London. The Royal Academy moved to Trafalgar Square in 1837 and then, in 1868, to its current location in Burlington House, Piccadilly.