The Egyptian Hall was built on Piccadilly in 1812 by commission of William Bullock who wanted a museum for his private collection. Peter Frederick Robinson designed the building with a neo-classical façade but Egyptian décor throughout, including paintings, statues and ornamentation. Originally a museum and exhibition hall, from 1825 onwards it became a popular entertainment venue as well. Magicians and spiritualists performed regularly, which led it to eventually become known as England’s Home of Mystery by the end of the nineteenth century. In 1905 it was pulled down to be replaced with offices and blocks of flats.