The Piazza is the main square in Covent Garden, designed and built in 1630 by Inigo Jones. He based his designs on modern town squares in Italy and France. Originally an open square bounded by low railings, it was the first of its kind in London. The covered market hall which stands today was built in 1830.
A market has existed at Covent Garden since 1654. It was originally a fruit and vegetable market; in 1904 the Jubilee Market building was added to accommodate imported flowers. Today, the Piazza buildings contain shops, cafes, bars and market stalls, and are known for their street performers, ranging from acrobats and magicians to opera singers.