"Some assisted in the Scottish Nationalist Movement"
Scottish Nationalist sentiments
Creative Commons Attribution Share AlikeScottish Nationalist sentiments - Credit: Alan Strevens, Flickr

  The Scottish National Party (Gaelic: Pàrtaidh Nàiseanta na h-Alba) was founded in 1934 through the amalgamation of the National Party of Scotland and the Scottish Party.

Their first leader was John MacDonald MacCormick, who resigned from the party in 1942 after failing to persuade his fellow nationalists to support devolution rather than full independence.

In 1979 a devolution referendum was held in Scotland. The electorate were offered the opportunity to vote for or against the setting up of a Scottish Assembly. The final result was a rejection of the proposal. However, in 1997, a second devolution referendum was held. On this occasion, the electorate voted in favour of devolution, and a devolved Scottish Parliament was established in 1999. 

On September 18th, 2014, an independence referendum took place in Scotland. The Scottish people were given the opportunity to vote either for a fully independent Scotland or to remain as part of the United Kingdom. The final result was that 55.3% of the electorate voted to retain Scotland's union with the rest of the UK, while 44.7% voted for full independence.