"bound to the Grey-Friars to see his sweetheart"
Greyfriars Kirkyard, 1848
Public DomainGreyfriars Kirkyard, 1848 - Credit:David Octavius Hill and Robert Adamson

Greyfriars Kirk, now home to the congregation of Greyfriars Tolbooth and Highland, is a parish church in the centre of Edinburgh. Founded as a Presbyterian church in 1620, it was here that the Covenanters signed the National Covenant in 1638 (see note for p. 38). There’s a certain irony in this edifice of stern morality being used for the purposes of a romantic rendezvous.