"Given at our Court of Whitehall"
The Palace of Whitehall
was the main residence of English monarchs from 1530 until 1698. It was originally named York Place and had been purchased by the then-Archbishop of York
around the mid-13th
century. It was rebuilt and expanded by a series of monarchs, most notably Henry VIII
whose additions included a cockpit and bowling alley. In 1698, the building was consumed in a fire that spared only Inigo Jones’
Banqueting Hall. Parts of the remains were incorporated into what is now the Whitehall government complex.