"to lunch at the Palmer House"
Palmer House is a landmark historic hotel in downtown Chicago. It was constructed by Potter Palmer as a wedding present for his bride, and was opened for business in 1871. It was destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire but rebuilt by 1875 and advertised as "The World's Only Fire Proof Hotel." The hotel featured luxurious decor; the floor of its barber shop was tiled with silver dollars.
It was expanded in the 1920s and has been part of the Hilton empire since 1945.