"the old church-yard of King’s Chapel"
was founded by Royal Governor Edmund Andros
in 1686. The first Episcopalian church in New England, its establishment was ordered by James II
to ensure the Church of England
had an American presence. However, because no resident would sell land to support the religion from which they had fled, the king’s representatives were forced to build the chapel on the Burying Ground. Hawthorne perhaps intends the reader to see a parallel between this instance of religious intolerance and social banishment, and that which befalls Hester.