"bearing a dented billycan"

A billycan is a tin or enamel cooking pot with a lid and wire handle, used outdoors, especially for making tea. In Ireland, a billycan is most often associated with 'travellers' who were once called by the name 'tinkers' because these 'gypsy-like folk' were tinsmiths.

According to the Australian National Dictionary Centre, the word comes from the Scottish billy meaning ‘cooking utensil’.  An alternative derivation is the Scottish bally, meaning 'milk pail.'