Initially opened in 1899, Otto Wagner's Municipal Railway stations face each other over a small square. With the construction of Vienna's subway system in 1981, the two identical stations were scheduled to be demolished. However, as a result of public outcry, in which protestors staged a sit down strike surrounding the buildings, the government gave in. Both buildings were disassembled, renovated, and then reassembled after the completion of the subway in their original locations. One of the buildings is now a cafe and the other houses a small museum devoted to Otto Wagner.