"he had helped fund Klimt's exhibition hall, the Secession"
Secession Building, 2006
Permission Granted by Copyright Owner for Use on Book DrumSecession Building, 2006
Tom Ovens
Secession Building, 2006
Permission Granted by Copyright Owner for Use on Book DrumSecession Building, 2006
Tom Ovens

     Named after the group of artists that broke away from the state approved art establishment, the Secession building was designed by Joseph Maria Olbrich, a founding member of the Secession. Financed by patrons such as the industrialist Karl Wittgenstein and by proceeds from their own exhibitions, the Secession opened in October of 1898 and held its first exhibition that November. It is still an active exhibition venue.